Training surgeons and administrators how to successfully increase elective vision procedures and profitability within their medical practices is my passion. I have extensive expertise in the dynamic intraocular lens, LASIK and medical device markets and am a recognized author and thought-leader in the emerging elective medical industry.
I founded Elective Medical Marketing after successfully building InSight LASIK (Colorado) into the fastest-growing LASIK practice in the US between 2001-2005. I sold the practice and began working with comprehensive and refractive ophthalmology surgeons desiring an increase in surgical volume, patient satisfaction, and profitability.
New York University, New York City, NY
Masters in Business Administration: Marketing
University of Colorado, Boulder, CO
Bachelor of Science: Finance
Elective Medical Marketing, Boulder CO
Founder & President, 2005 – Present
Elective Medical Marketing is a practice development and marketing consultancy that provides strategic leadership, practice development, graphic design, web development, and media services to surgical ophthalmology practices. We assist elective vision practices in growing surgical volume through the implementation of our patient-focused, market-proven programs.
Amicrobe, Carlsbad, CA
Investor & Consultant 2014 – Present
I assist this early stage company with business development and capital raise for
their proprietary technology which reduces/eliminates hospital acquired infections
and multi-drug resistant infections.
Consultant & Speaker, 2004 – 2013
I served as a consultant and speaker for Alcon Laboratories at over 100 events over the last 10 years, introducing new practice development methodologies related to laser and lens implant innovations to surgeons throughout the US, Canada, South America and Europe.
InSight LASIK, Lafayette, CO
Partner, 2000 – 2005
I built this laser center, and co-owned/operated it with an optometric partner. We grew from 0 to a peak of over 250 procedures per month as a premium provider in the Northern Colorado market, becoming the fastest growing elective vision center in the country. I sold the facility in 2005.
Prior to my medical marketing career, I spent 18 years in new product development, brand management and consulting for industry-leading companies including General Foods, Celestial Seasonings, Kraft, Golden Grain and Bernina.
Ophthalmology Management Published by Pentavision
• Don’t Trust Technology to Make You Great, April 2015
• LASIK’s Future Is Dire: Here’s How To Save It, January 2015
• How Are Patients Viewing Your Website, August 2014
• Using Data to Add A New Practice Location, February 2014
• Get Serious About Patient Satisfaction, April 2012
• The Untapped Marketing Resource, May 2011
• You Can Recession-Proof Your LASIK Practice, September 2008
• Committed To Excellence: Stellar Results and a Perfect Patient Experience, September 2008
• Educating Today’s Premium IOL Candidate: The Four-Step IDEA Process, June 2008
• Moving LASIK from Good to Great, November 2007
• Building an Elective Vision Practice, November 2006
• Vital Signs: Monitor and Improve the Performance of Your Practice, June 2005
• Create Your Own LASIK Boom, January 2005
Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today Published by Bryn Mawr Communications
• Knowing your Practice is No Longer Optional (ghostwritten for Matt Jensen), July 2011
• It’s Time to Abandon “Premium” IOLs, July 2010
• The Volume of Premium Lenses is Still Growing, March 2009
• Everyone’s A Critic: Are You Monitoring Your Online Reputation? July 2009
• Performance Driven Practices: Early Adopters Share Their Strategies, June 2008
• The Administrator Crisis, May 2008
• Efficiency Exhaustion, March 2008
• Either/Or: Add Structure to the Lifestyle IOL Conversation, December 2007
• Lifestyle IOLs: Your Role in Delivering Patient-Preferred Vision, December 2007
Eyeworld Published by The American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
• Five Trends Will Drive – or Derail – Your Practice, September 2010
• Overcoming Barriers in the LASIK Environment, May 2010
• Say No to Practice Management, August 2009
• Silo Scheduling: Proactive Templates Deliver the Practice You Desire, June 2008
• Are Lifestyle IOLs Worth It? Establishing Realistic Financial Goals for Upgraded Lenses, June 2008
• Selling the Presbyopic Lens Idea Better, July 2007
Review of Ophthalmology Published by Jobson Publishing
• Give Your Practice a Wellness Check, January 2009
LASIK Toolkit for Surgeons (2008/2009), Alcon Laboratories
• Events and Conversations: The New Approach to Effective Marketing
• Patient Satisfaction: The Low-Cost, High-Return Improvement for Your Practice
• Having Trouble Building an OD Network? 5 ways to fail.
• Postoperative Data Tracking Critical To Improving LASIK Outcomes
• Patients Are Not Loyal. They Need to Be Reminded.
• If You Think You’re The Better Surgeon, Prove It
• The Economy Will Not Get Better. You Must Get Better.
• Measuring LASIK: Is There a Magic Bullet?
Cataract Surgery eNews (2007/2008), Alcon Laboratories
• A Cataract Diagnosis Creates Opportunity
• Give Thanks You’re an Ophthalmologist
• Raising the Bar for Appointment Schedulers
• Silo Scheduling vs. Block Scheduling: Understanding the Difference
• A Recession May Be Just the Jumpstart You Need
• The Vision Preferences Checklist
• Improving Surgeon Communication In the Lane
• Diagnosed Cataracts Increase 60% In the Next 20 Years: Are You Ready?
PACE for LASIK Inquiries: The Last Phone Training You’ll Ever Need
Elective Medical Press, 2008
Counseling That Improve Conversions: Structuring a Patient-Friendly Evaluation
Elective Medical Press, 2008
What is a Premium IOL Worth?
Mastering Refractive IOLs: The Art and Science, Editor David Chang, Slack Incorporated 2008
Premium IOL Internal Marketing Mastering Refractive IOLs: The Art and Science, Editor David Chang, Slack Incorporated 2008
• Good to Great: Leading Change for Yourself. Your Team. Your Practice.
• Refractive Survival: Twelve Steps to Outwit. Outplay. Outlast.
• Succeeding Outside the OR: Leading Change in the Cataract Practice
• Leveraging Lens Upgrades: Eight Best Practices Ensure Your Success
• Charting: Does Your Practice Sputter or Hum?
• Let It Flow: Improving the Laser Center Dance
• Counseling Techniques that Improve Conversion
• Outcomes: How Good Are You – and Can You Get Even Better?
• Scheduling to Improve Patient and
• Surgery Planning: Improving Flow. Improving Outcomes. Protecting Your Surgeon. Staff Satisfaction
MARKETING and PROMOTION
• Integrated Marketing: The Advanced Course In Online Marketing and Tracking
• Cool Tools: Make Small-Time Marketing Spending Big-Time Effective
• Disruptive Advertising: What’s Effective in Elective Vision Marketing Today
• WHO. WHAT. WHERE. WHY. Positioning Your Practice for Growth
• Shoestring Design: A Survival Guide for the Non-Designer
• Channel Marketing: Covering All the Bases
• Media Selection: Make Good Choices
• Refractive Competition: Do Your Research
• Vision Value: What the Market Says You’re Worth
• Vital Signs: How To Monitor and Improve the Performance of Your Practice
• Business Fundamentals: What I Wished I’d Learned in Medical School
• Marketing Planning: Pay No Attention to the Woman Behind the Curtain
• Pricing Smart for Elective Vision Procedures
• Staffing for Success
• The Predictive P&L: Getting Ahead of Your Practice
• Course Director 2013, Alcon Global. Elective vision training for surgeons throughout Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
Lifestyle IOL Practice Development Bootcamp
• Founder, 14 cities throughout the US, 2010
Eclipse: Building a Lifestyle IOL Practice
• Course Director 2007/2008, Alcon Laboratories
Leveraging the ReSTOR Opportunity
• Toronto Physician and Staff Training, Canada, June 2006
• Physicians Regional Training, Alcon Laboratories, Various US Cities 2006
Revolutions in Cataract and Refractive Marketing
• Course Director 2006, Alcon Laboratories
Best Practices for Increasing ReSTOR Upgrades
• CAFÉ Regional Training, San Francisco, CA March 2006
• US Physician Certification Course, Alcon Laboratories, Various US Cities 2006
• Puerto Rico Physician Certification Course, San Juan, PR, January 2006
• Canadian Physician Conference, Napa Valley, CA, November 2005
Getting to Yes – Practice Development for the Surgical AM
• US National Sales Meeting, Alcon Laboratories, Hollywood, FL, January 2006
• Canadian National Sales Training, Toronto, Canada, February, 2006
Designate. Counsel. Deliver. Three Steps to ReSTOR Integration
• American Academy of Ophthalmology Booth Presentation, Washington DC, 2005
Refractive Excellence: Accepting the Challenge
• Course Director 2005, Alcon Laboratories
• Faculty Member 2004, Alcon Laboratories
Achieving Success In A Difficult Refractive Market
• Brazilian Physicians Training, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil June 2004
Three Steps to Custom Cornea Success
• ASCRS Physician Training, April 2004
12 Truths That Compel Performance
• New England Ophthalmological Society, Boston, MA, April 2004
Conductive Keratoplasty: Satisfying the Presbyopic Patient
• Refractec Users Meeting, San Diego, CA April 2003
LASIK Awareness, Attitudes and Usage: Profile of the National and Central CA Markets
Lifestyle IOL Fees: Emerging Market Trends
• 2009, 2010
CustomCornea vs. LADARVision LASIK: Can Patients Tell the Difference?
• Spring 2004
Conductive Keratoplasty: Improving Predictability through Intra-Operative Measurement
• Spring 2004
Optometric Satisfaction Survey
• TLC Laser Eye Centers, Denver CO, June 2000
Patient Awareness – LASIK in the Denver Market
• TLC Laser Eye Centers, Denver CO, June 2000
American Society of Ophthalmic Administrators
Editorial Board – Ophthalmology Management